La Maison de Gabriel in Chantelle
- Sleeping facilities for 2 people: 1 double bed
- 1 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, living-room with open plan kitchen, garden and terrace with sweeping views over river gorge
La Maison de Gabriel is located in a little village, Chantelle, on the cusp of a gorge leading down to the Bouble river. It can house 2 people.
On the ground floor there is a large living room (40 m2) with open plan kitchen, a study and guest toilet. On the upper floor, there is a 30 sqm bedroom and a bathroom.
The cottage has been completely renovated in 2013, and has electric heating. Keeping in style with our other properties, we have kept two large oak beams, a mix of stone-and chalked walks, as well as traditionally handmade oak doors.
The outside boasts a garden with a lawn, herbs for use in the kitchen and a wonderful terrace 20 m above the river gorge, perfect for sunset aperitifs while looking at the old ducal castle, now a Benedictines monastery.
The house still has quite a few architectural features dating back to the middle ages: the former entrance to the wine cellar, a door inside the house and stone window surrounds. There is a large open fire place (Louis XV style), as well as a vaulted 2 storey wine cellar.
A bit of history:
La Maison de Gabriel is in the oldest part of the village, where all the houses were built during Chantelle’s glory time, when the Regent, Anne de France, ruled the country from her 2 castles in moulins and Chantelle. She was the daughter of Louis XI and ruled from 1483 to 1491. Anne de France modernised and added to the existing castle with inspiration and furniture imported from Italy, where the Renaissance had just begun. Obviously her presence meant that a number of nobles chose to build large houses in the vicinity of the seat of her power.
We have already renovated 3 houses in that particular block, and are working on 2 more. La Maison de Gabriel is the best located, as it overlooks the river gorge and has far reaching views. The house is built as part of the town wall and is partly cut into the bedrock.
It used to be known as The Bishop’s House, as that was where he stayed during his visits.
If you wish to learn more about the village of Chantelle itself, please click here.
- 650€ per month all year, except July & August, if rented for a period shorter than 3 months. In that case it would be €1200 for 1 month or €2000 for 2 months
- The price is all inclusive (also firewood), except electricity as we want to encourage our guests to be as energy conscious as possible (electricity is cheaper at certain times of the day, ideal to run washing machine)
- Minimum rental period is 3 months and maximum is 12 months
- This property is available year round for longer lets. Our policy is to only rent out for minimum 3 months at a time, but sometimes there is a shorter gap between guests, so it is worth getting in touch to ask if you would like a shorter period.
- The property is NOT available for weekly summer holiday rentals.
- For reservations to become effective, a deposit of one months rent is required (fully refundable at departure)
- A full month’s rent is payable in advance upon arrival. Cash or cheques only.
- Heating: Central heating (Electric heat pump, electric radiators.). Fireplace (firewood included in rental price)
- Services / Facilities: Mains water. Mains drainage. Electricity. WiFi Broadband Internet Access. Fiber Optic High Speed Internet
- Kitchen Facilities: Conventional oven. Hob. Combined Fridge/Freezer. Washing Machine. Food processor, stick blender and generally very well equipped kitchen
- Additional Info: Children welcome. Cot & High Chair available upon request. No smokers. Pets may be allowed by prior agreement. Cot is available. The cottage is located in a pedestrianised street: it is possible to drive down to on- and offload baggage and shopping, otherwise safe parking is on the church square (where our house is located) just 1 minute walk away