La Maison de Gabriel in Chantelle
- Sleeping facilities for 2 people: 1 double bed
- 1 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, living-room with open plan kitchen, garden and terrace with sweeping views over river gorge
La Maison de Gabriel is located in a little village, Chantelle, on the cusp of a gorge leading down to the Bouble river. It can house 2 people.
On the ground floor there is a large living room (40 m2) with open plan kitchen, a study and guest toilet. On the upper floor, there is a 30 sqm bedroom and a bathroom.
The cottage has been completely renovated in 2013, and has electric heating. Keeping in style with our other properties, we have kept two large oak beams, a mix of stone-and chalked walks, as well as traditionally handmade oak doors.
The outside boasts a garden with a lawn, herbs for use in the kitchen and a wonderful terrace 20 m above the river gorge, perfect for sunset aperitifs while looking at the old ducal castle, now a Benedictines monastery.
The house still has quite a few architectural features dating back to the middle ages: the former entrance to the wine cellar, a door inside the house and stone window surrounds. There is a large open fire place (Louis XV style), as well as a vaulted 2 storey wine cellar.
A bit of history:
La Maison de Gabriel is in the oldest part of the village, where all the houses were built during Chantelle’s glory time, when the Regent, Anne de France, ruled the country from her 2 castles in moulins and Chantelle. She was the daughter of Louis XI and ruled from 1483 to 1491. Anne de France modernised and added to the existing castle with inspiration and furniture imported from Italy, where the Renaissance had just begun. Obviously her presence meant that a number of nobles chose to build large houses in the vicinity of the seat of her power.
We have already renovated 3 houses in that particular block, and are working on 2 more. La Maison de Gabriel is the best located, as it overlooks the river gorge and has far reaching views. The house is built as part of the town wall and is partly cut into the bedrock.
It used to be known as The Bishop’s House, as that was where he stayed during his visits.
If you wish to learn more about the village of Chantelle itself, please click here.
- 550€ per month all year, except in high season (June, July and August) where the price per month is 1000€ per month. Minimum rental period is 3 months.
- Heating: heating pump, electric radiators and fireplace
- INCLUDED: water and cleaning upon departure
- EXCLUDED: electricity, broadband, linen and firewood
- For reservations to become effective, a deposit of one months rent is required (fully refundable at departure)
- A full month’s rent is payable in advance upon arrival. Cash or cheques only
- Pets are welcome in all our houses
- A baby cot and high chair are available upon request
- Please note that bed covers and pillows are provided